Civic Sense

It is said that common sense is not common. I beg to differ. I believe common sense as well as civic sense is not common. Civic sense is that basic awareness that you live in society. A society that not only consists of you, but also the millions of people around the world. And that you cannot expect preferential treatment just because your name is known to many people. Or because you have a higher IQ than most people, or have scored more marks than a majority of people. Or, in other words, you cannot undermine other people's rights or privacy, or decline them some facility as long as you are a part of this society.

As strong worded as the above paragraph may be, what is on my mind is trivial as compared to gender,race or religion bias. What is on my mind is caring for your neighbours. I don't mean serving them garma-garam jalebis when they return from work. In my case, it is as simple as lowering the volume of music, and not treating public property as the dowry you received during your marriage.

More specifically music. The simple reason why you should not play blaring music, and sing along, changing your voice to match the pitch of the singer, is that people judge you on the basis of your taste of music. Backstreet- fag,Metal- maniac/geek,Classical- girlish,Rap- wannabe firang/cool cat. You get my point. But the other, more traditional reason is, civic sense -your neighbour will get irritated. If I turn out to be your neighbour, I may probably bring a camera and film you swaying to the music, singing in a thin,girlish voice because you can't match the pitch of the Backstreet Boys. And then, I will post it on youtube!

Or consider this other scenario, where people do some dubious activities where they are not supposed to do it. In my case, when people wash their FEET at the WASH BASIN. I'm sure the makers of the wash basin must have created it for washing your face or hands only. And this becomes much more obnoxious when the bathroom is located just a foot behind you. Bhaina!!(Oriya equivalent of "Dude!") You just have to turn around to wash your feet without inconveniencing anyone else! But no, he washes his feet right there, pouring water out of his palms and onto his feet, allowing everyone else the pleasure of having to tiptoe through the pool of muddy water. I think if I ever catch that guy performing his ritual again, I shall immediately proceed to take a bath in front of the wash basin. If he washed something apart from his hands and face at the wash basin, why can't I do the same?

Moral of the story is- people will keep on inconveniencing other people, even If you give them a hint that they are doing so. It's just this thing about human behaviour, call it ego if you will, that makes people indifferent, shameless and proud. They only way you can shatter that mirage is by doing things that are most despicable, so that you can harness their 'ego', and force them into thinking,"I'm never going to behave like this retard!". Reverse Psychology at it's best!

P.S.- Please share your experiences of such shameless behaviour by commenting.
P.P.S.- I have not blown a fuse, please read my previous posts before you judge me on the basis of only this post.

1 comment:

  1. lemme propose a theory of too, lets us say that the people are hardwired to do that. Maybe they dont do all that they do intentionally, they are just innocent souls trapped in really bad soles (carcicatures); You can really feel their niceness when they want some extra marks from the proffs, or that dvd or episode you have

    ReplyDelete